Our mission is to champion good youth work; by delivering it, experimenting with it, promoting it and supporting others who share our beliefs about it.
We think that good youth work is a way of understanding young people and the world they live in and approaching things from their point of view. We also think that good youth work is built on a wide set of skills and tools; we see these as the "craft" of being a good youth worker.
We believe that the combined approach and craft of good youth work is something to be defended, supported and developed. A positive future for good youth work is something to campaign for.
• The Open Youth Cluster creates positive changes in the lives of all young people. It is a constructive process that aims to give young people chances to lead happier and more fulfilling lives. It can be of benefit to all and should not be confined solely to tackling disadvantage; although it will always recognise the disadvantaged starting points society imposes on some young people.
• The Open Youth Cluster will speak up for young people and always remind adult society that they are most often the victims of society's problems and not the cause of them. • The Open Youth Cluster challenges discrimination and promotes inclusion because it values and celebrates the uniqueness of individuals, championing both cohesion and difference.
• The Open Youth Cluster is always relevant because it is centred on the needs of young people and encourages them to express those needs. Young people set the agenda for good youth workers.
• The Open Youth Cluster must be voluntary and its power to grow mutual respect between young people and adults comes from the right to walk away from the youth work process. It must be a positive choice.
• The Open Youth Cluster enables young people to understand and own their rights and responsibilities as citizens, and how to form and maintain good relationships that are built on self-respect and respect for the rights and responsibilities of others.
• The Open Youth Cluster is primarily a group process of social education, enjoyed in the most informal and accessible ways. It can help support families and young people's growth and transition to independent adulthood.
• The Open Youth Cluster is a powerful force for positive social change and good youth workers, alongside the young people they support, are its best and most credible advocates.